Monday, April 18, 2011

Passover

Today I stopped in at Saul's Delicatessen to pick up some macaroons.  They were extremely busy since Passover starts this evening. I was third on line but had to stand there for about 10 minutes before I could place my order.  People in front of me had pre-ordered a lot of food. Note all the boxes of matzos on display in their window (click on the photo):


What makes this day different from all other days? On most days you can order any numbers of matzo balls, but today you can only order them in pre-packed containers of two or four:


Check out their huge macaroons (note the hand for a sense of scale):


The staff was so busy that when the cashier rang up my purchase he gave me a receipt to sign, except I had paid in cash (with a $10 bill). He apologized when I handed it back to him and said it had been crazy in there since 8 AM and was going to continue like that all day.

The wait on line was worth it, not for the macaroons (which I haven't eaten at the time I am writing this), but because when I stepped outside I crossed paths with former Clinton labor secretary Robert Reich. As I opened the door to walk out he was approaching. I expected him to go inside, but he and his party took a brief look and then kept walking:


I knew that Reich is a professor at Berkeley (see his blog here), but I thought he is a professor of economics.  Nope. His position is in the school of public policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment